■ General Jewelry Care

 In general, precious metal jewelry should be gently wiped with a soft, chemical-free cloth after each wear to remove dirt and oil, and stored in a dark, cool, dry place to slow oxidation and discoloration. Extreme care is required in humid environments such as Japan, and we recommend storing with "desiccants (silica gel)", "felt pouches (liquid absorbing properties)", or airtight containers (or Ziplocs) to reduce excess moisture. During storage, care should be taken to avoid bumping into each other to prevent rubbing, scratching, or tangling. Avoid swimming, exercising, showering, perfume, nail polish, etc., and if moisture does come into contact with them, dry them completely with a soft cloth. If chemicals come into contact with it, wipe it off completely with water and dry it completely as well, making sure that no moisture remains.

Sterling Silver 925

Sterling Silver 925 is composed of 92.5% silver, with the remaining 7.5% made up of additional metals such as copper to add a little hardness. When worn and exposed to skin, liquids, or air, it naturally oxidizes and eventually tarnishes. While the unique texture is attractive and can be enjoyed, it can be re-polished with a silver polishing cloth or special silver solution to restore its luster.

Gold Vermeil

Gold vermeil is 925 sterling silver coated with a thick layer of gold (minimum 2.5 microns). Because it is plated by a process called "electrolysis," it is extremely durable. However, it will naturally wear off over time, so professional jewelers recommend re-coating.

Rhodium-plated and gold-plated (925 Sterling silver)

Sterling silver with a rhodium coating is used in jewelry to prevent oxidation and give it a unique texture. Although highly resistant to tarnishing, the coating will fade over time and, in some cases, may tarnish when exposed to moisture or chemicals. After wearing, wipe with a very soft cloth or cotton ball to remove dust and dirt and restore the shine, as using an abrasive cloth will remove the surface coating. Also, if the plating has peeled off over time, a professional jewelry store will recommend re-coating.

Silver and gold plating (base metal)

Plated jewelry is made by applying a thin coating of pure silver or pure gold over a base metal such as brass or bronze. With continued wear, the surface layer peels off, exposing the base metal, which reacts with air and at some point tarnishes. Because of the thin coating, cleaning should be done carefully to maintain the item's brilliance. As for storage, silver and gold plating should not be stored together as they can cause each other to tarnish, fade, or change color.

Regular cleaning is recommended, as the plating will wear over time. We also recommend that you take your jewelry directly to a professional jewelry store for care, as care methods vary slightly from jewelry to jewelry.